- Fish and chips make a balanced, nutritious meal. They are a valuable source of
- Iron and
- Fish and chips provide a third of the recommended daily allowance of vitamins for a man and nearly half for a woman.
- An average portion of fish, chips and peas contains only 7.3% fat of which 2.8% is saturated fat. This compares with 10.8% fat in a pork pie and 16.8 grams you will find in a tuna mayonnaise sandwich.
Fish and Chips, Facts and Figures
Fish and chip shops have been around for a long time and as a result, there are some pretty surprising facts about the fish and chip business!
- There are currently in the region of 10,500 specialist fish and chip shops in the UK.
- These dramatically outnumber other fast food outlets: McDonalds has only 1,200 outlets, Kentucky Fried Chicken 350.
- British consumers eat some 382 million portions of fish and chips every year. That’s six servings for every man, woman and child.
- Annual spend on fish and chips in the UK is in the region of a staggering £1.2 billion!
- 80% of people visit fish and chip shops at least once a year.
- 22% visit fish and chip shops every week.
- 56% buy fish and chips to eat in the home as a family meal.
The world’s first fish and chip shop is believed to be Malin’s, opened in 1860 on Old Ford Road, East London. They later moved to different sites in East London, with the business since closing.